MORE than 450 people watched England’s boxers win the Hereford Times Cup in a sell-out St David’s Day International show against Wales.
Birtley Boys’ Luke McCormack collected the overall trophy on behalf of the England team after 10 hard-fought amateur contests at Hereford Sixth Form College.
McCormack had recorded a unanimous win over Wales’ Joshua John and was awarded the inaugural Jim Smith Memorial Cup for being the evening’s best boxer.
The hugely successful full international boxing show was organised by Hereford coaches Vince McNally and Richard Roberts.
For a full report and photographs, see the Hereford Times on Thursday.
England recorded a 7-3 win over Wales to clinch the Hereford Times Cup
1. Connor Jones (Eng) beat Sam Parry (Wales); unanimous decision; 1-0.
2. Khaleel Majid (Eng) beat Sion Yaxley (Wales); unanimous decision, 2-0.
3. Kieran Conway (Eng) beat Jordan Marshall (Wales); unanimous decision, 3-0.
4. Callum O’Brien (Eng) lost to Joseph Egan (Wales); unanimous decision, 3-1.
5. James Richardson (Eng) lost to Sonny Lee (Wales); unanimous decision, 3-2.
6. Sandy Ryan (Eng) beat Charlene Jones (Wales); unanimous decision, 4-2.
7. Luke McCormack (Eng) beat Joshua John (Wales); unanimous decision, 5-2.
8. Dan Woledge (Eng) beat Morgan Jones (Wales); unanimous decision, 6-2.
9. John Newell (Eng) lost to Nathan Thorley (Wales); unanimous decision, 6-3.
10. Greg Bridet (Eng) beat Kody Davies (Wales); split decision, 7-3.