HEREFORDSHIRE'S Ian Bullock says it's good to have familiar faces around in the county-set-up, especially during a three-day game.

The Brockhampton wicket-keeper has been an ever-present for the county side and has been backed up by Joe Crichard, who has also played in every game this season.

Herefordshire kicked off their Championship campaign against Cheshire on Sunday, but were left frustrated by the weather.

The home side scored a competitive 277-9 in their first innings and had Cheshire reeling at 13-3, but after only 25 minutes was played on Monday, further rain led to the game being abandoned the following day.

"A lot of players can't play because you've got to take time off work, but there's still a few players available for a few games and hopefully we'll be ok," said Bullock.

"It helps when you've got a few friendly faces that you know that can help you through the day, especially for a three-day game.

"It's definitely better to have players that you know, so you get settled and let the cricket do the talking."

Bullock also believes it is good to have local players featuring for the side.

"I think it's a good idea and we have had a lot more Herefordshire players playing, but it's about picking the right players at the moment," he said.

Bullock played a key role as Herefordshire revived from a precarious 65-4 in their rain-ruined draw.

The wicket-keeper joined another teenager Jamie Harrison to help turn the county's fortunes around, contributing 25 to a fifth-wicket stand of 90.

Harrison, on his debut, was the star of the show, with his composed, unbeaten 135, featuring 19 boundaries from 181 balls, underpinning Herefordshire's total.

Taylor Pugh (22) also contributed usefully before Liam Gwynne, skipper in the absence of Matt Pardoe, applied the closure to allow his attack around 45 minutes at the Cheshire batting line-up.

The move quickly paid off with Peter Burgoyne trapping experienced Danny Leech leg-before.

Dan Conway picked up two further wickets in the brief period of play allowed on Monday before the bad weather returned.