Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting HT NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Supporters set to stage 'funeral march' on Brockington
1:09pm Thursday 26th June 2014 in Sport
HEREFORD United supporters will be wearing black armbands and carrying a coffin from Edgar Street today (Thursday) in a funeral procession through the city.
United have been accepted into the Southern League Premier Division but worried fan Steve Alexander says he believes Hereford United are ‘already dead’.
A group of fans will be marching to Herefordshire Council’s Brockington headquarters in Hafod Road to deliver a petition, signed by more than 7,200 people, to leader Tony Johnson at 12.30pm.
The petition is to urge Herefordshire Council not to assign the leases to United’s Edgar Street ground to the club’s new owner, Tommy Agombar.
Alexander is urging supporters to wear Hereford United shirts and black armbands and join the procession which will be leaving the Merton Meadow car park between 11am and 11.15pm.
“There is a strong feeling among Hereford United supporters and even further afield about the events over the past few weeks at the club,” said Alexander, who lives in Hereford.
“The vast majority of Hereford United fans are worried about the future of the club and we feel that the club has now gone away from the fans and has died.
“We want to try to highlight the situation at Hereford United and we are hoping to get some television and press coverage for our march.”
Alexander, who grew up in Worcester, added: “In addition to a coffin being carried, the grim reaper will be joining the parade. We think between 20 and 50 supporters will be joining our parade.”
At the time of going to press, the Hereford Times was awaiting a statement from Hereford United’s new public relations officer Laura Phelps
Hereford United at a glance:
• United will be defending a winding-up petition in the High Court next Monday brought against the club by former manager Martin Foyle.
Foyle claims he had previously negotiated an agreed settlement with United but it was later withdrawn by Edgar Street chiefs.
Weobley chairman Nick Locke said: “We were directly approached with an offer to play Hereford United in a friendly match. I have asked our senior team coach to reject this offer and he has agreed to do so.
“This was a hard decision to make as the opportunity to play against a team that was in League One just five years ago does not come along often for a club like ours and as we are about to enter our 25th anniversary it would have been a great marquee fixture.
"At present though I do not feel it is appropriate for us to play against Hereford United while so many of its creditors, which include so many local, hard working people remain unpaid.”
• At the time of going to press, the Southern League have not, as requested, given a public statement on Hereford United’s acceptance into the structure.
The new regime at Hereford United are continuing to hold daily trials for players, under the direction of football agent Mark Ellis, at Victoria Park.
An Arsenal spokesman told the Hereford Times: “As far as our records show, Mark Ellis worked with Arsenal on a consultancy basis between December 2000 and May 2002 and was not a permanent member of staff. As far as our records show, Mark Ellis no longer has a connection with Arsenal Football Club.”
Former United caretaker assistant-manager Steve Jenkins, who is now at Merthyr Town, has signed ex-Bulls defender Ryan Green.
Former United duo Dom Collins and Frankie Artus have now joined Southport and Bath City, respectively.
Comments are closed on this article.