Hereford United turn down approaches from Kidderminster Harriers and Wrexham for Ryan Bowman (From Hereford Times)
Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting HT NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Hereford United turn down approaches from Kidderminster Harriers and Wrexham for Ryan Bowman
This week has seen the arrival of onloan Kingsley James from Port Vale and Nantwich defender Rod Mc- Donald as well as the departure of Harry Pell.
And Keyte, while not anticipating further activity, was satisfied with the business done.
“The deal for Harry Pell is good business for the club,” he said.
“There is a down payment as well as clauses for appearances and if AFC Wimbledon can avoid relegation.
There is also a sell-on clause.”
James, although only on loan for a month initially, is on substantially lower wages than Pell. United have high hopes for 20-year-old McDonald.
“Martin Foyle thinks he could be the next ‘golden nugget’,” said Keyte.
The Bulls supremo confirmed that there had been calls of enquiry from Wrexham and Kidderminster Harriers for Ryan Bowman.
“Ryan is a player we could expect to cash in on and it would not really ring true to transfer him to another Conference club,” said Keyte.
The Bulls chairman also said that the club would look at the possibility of paying up the contracts of some of the players on Football League deals.
This would reduce the club’s liability during the financially-tricky summer months when there was no income from gate-money.
The club saw their adjourned winding- up petition brought by HMRC formally dismissed in the High Court in London earlier this week.
But the postponement of three home games in January has further damaged the Bulls’ cash flow and Keyte confirmed that the board of directors had injected further funds into the club last week.
“The postponements are decimating our cash flow and we have been caught out by the exceptional weather,”
he said. “But it is the same everywhere.
This is not Old Trafford with 20 people working on the pitch and £200,000 worth of machinery ready to be used.”
There is at least the consolation of another home game - weather permitting - against Southport on Saturday, when Bulls legend and former Southport star Eric Redrobe will be in attendance.
And there were still hopes that the Mansfield Town game, postponed on Tuesday night, could be arranged for next Tuesday which is the only remaining midweek slot in February and March now that games against Gateshead (away on March 19), Dartford (home on March 26) and Forest Green Rovers (away on April 9) have been rearranged.
Keyte also confirmed that Martin Foyle had signed his two-year contract extension on Tuesday afternoon.
“Martin will run the club from top to bottom which will also see him in charge of the youth and community sections,” he said. “He will be looking at the club’s structure and that will be early on his to-do list.”
There are challenges ahead with the youth budget, however, with a 50 per cent reduction in funding next year and nothing in the year after that.
But it seems that head of youth John Layton should be secure in his post.
“We still need someone in the youth section with a UEFA ‘A’ Licence.