Richard Kear sent off as Westfields gain Midland Alliance draw at Heather St Johns

Westfields’ Richard Kear made an early exit from the action at Heather St Johns as his side grabbed a 3-3 draw on Saturday.

Westfields’ Richard Kear made an early exit from the action at Heather St Johns as his side grabbed a 3-3 draw on Saturday.

First published in Sport

Heather St Johns 3 Westfields 3.

WESTFIELDS let slip a two-goal advantage in Leicestershire as both sides finished the match with 10 men.

The city side were two-up at the interval before the hosts hit back to lead following the dismissal of striker Richard Kear.

But the visitors grabbed a late equaliser just before home goalkeeper Pete Maguire was sent off in stoppage time.

Gareth Thomas volleyed Westfields ahead from a Sam Gwynne corner after just five minutes.

Kear missed a good chance to extend the lead before supplying the cross for Jamie Cuss to double the Herefordshire side’s advantage.

Thomas headed off the line but Westfields were denied, too, when strong appeals for a penalty were waved aside.

Craig Jones also missed a good chance for Westfields before matters took a downward turn for the visitors.

Conal Powell pulled a goal back on 64 minutes, just before Kear was sent off after an off-the-ball incident with Josh McPherson.

Scott Smith then levelled the scores before Shane Gibbs fired the home side ahead for the first time.

But Fields showed character to hit back when Dene Whittal-Williams headed in a Gwynne corner a minute from the end.

And in stoppage-time, Maguire was sent off after appearing to kick Gwynne.

l Wellington Reserves are the new leaders of the Herefordshire League Premier Division.

The villagers moved into top spot after deposing previous front-runners Sinkums with a 2-1 success.

Ewyas Harold are also putting together a run of form and have moved into third place after a 4-1 win at Kington Town.

John Roach fired Harold ahead from a Will Lindesay pass after just five minutes but Aaron Hodge’s free-kick put the home side level.

Midway through the second period, Harold regained the lead when Lindesay scored from close range.

And the villagers’ top-scorer extended the advantage with a perfectly-executed free-kick.

Hodge should have pulled a goal back but his penalty was superbly saved by Daniel Taylor before Dean Evans and Rory Worthing set up Matt Norton to complete the scoring.

In a mid-table clash at allpay.park, a goal from newcomer Lee Marlow ensured Westfields Reserves a point with a 1-1 home draw against Fownhope.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree