Westfields 0 Gornal Athletic 2.

WESTFIELDS conceded a Midland Alliance double after being out-fought by the tough-tackling, non-nonsense visitors.

Fields were behind after just 16 minutes when speedy winger Chris Rabone raced through to fire past Matt Gwynne.

Richard Kear had a effort saved and Phil Glover headed a Sam Gwynne corner just wide as Westfields tried to hit back.

But Matt Gwynne had to make a fine stop to prevent Rabone from extending the visitors’ lead in first-half stoppage time.

Jamie Cuss missed a great chance to level the scores, heading over from six yards when it seemed easier to hit the target.

And the city side were made to pay when Mike Perks outpaced the home defence and fired in a low cross which was deflected into his own net by Gareth Thomas.

Cuss again shot over from a good position and even the arrival of late substitutes Josh Hunt and Zac Sirrell was unable to produce a consolation goal for the city side.

Westfields, who lost 5-2 at Gornal earlier in the season, have slipped to eighth in the table after winning just one of their last four matches although they have games in hand over several of their rivals.

Ledbury Town 4 Wrens Nest 0.

LEDBURY Town kept up their West Midlands League Division Two promotion charge with a conclusive success in their first outing for four weeks.

Town were on top from the start and made the breakthrough after a string of corners.

A well-taken flag-kick from Martin Boyle resulted in a goalmouth melee from which prolific striker Tom Boyle blasted the ball home. Town’s Jamie Welch added a second shortly afterwards following some good work by Neil Gardiner.

And, seven minutes before the break, Welch virtually made sure of the points when he slipped the ball into the bottom corner of the net.

Gardiner struck a post on the brink of half-time before Dan Herbert completed the scoring five minutes into the second period with a powerful shot.

Not even the late sending-off of substitute James Dean, for two bookable offences, could take the gloss off the afternoon for Ledbury who are just three points behind divisional leaders Newport Town.

Ledbury’s Ladies were only able to start their match with Leominster Town Ladies with eight players and unsurprisingly were beaten 9-0 in their home clash in the Herefordshire and Worcestershire Women’s County League.

l WITH leaders Sinkums not having a game, Wellington Reserves cut the gap at the top of the Herefordshire League Premier Division with a 4-1 success against Hinton.

Fownhope also gained ground in mid-table with a 2-0 home victory against third-placed Mercia Athletic.

Pete Wood scored twice with Rob Cooper Tomkins, on his first appearance of the season, bagging the other as Ewyas Harold secured a comfortable 3-0 win against Hereford Lads Club Reserves.

At the foot of the table, Bartestree Reserves avoided defeat for the first time in their six games this season when they picked up a point from a 2-2 home draw with Kington Town.

Aaron Hodge was on target for the border club.