Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting HT NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Inquiry launched over "slow" evacution during flood homes
A Ross-on-Wye councillor has criticised Herefordshire Housing for its “very slow actions” when homes were flooded last week.
Up to 20 elderly residents in Smallbrook Gardens were evacuated from bungalows last Friday morning, while homes in the Tudorville area of Ross were also flooded.
Andrew Atkinson, ward councillor for Ross-on-Wye East, said many people did not know what to do and were let down by Herefordshire Housing.
“I was extremely disappointed with the slow reaction,” said Coun Atkinston.
“If they had been there from the start, people would have known what they were entitled to and what they were not and they could have been advised,”
“Cabinet members will be holding an inquiry to see what could have been done better.”
Peter Brown, chief executive of Herefordshire Housing, said: “We cover the whole of the county and received numerous reports of flooding, so we had to see where we had to deploy our resources,” he said.
“Through the morning, it became apparent that there was a bigger problem in Ross, so we sent all of our resources there, in particular to Smallbrook Gardens and Wood Edge.
“In hindsight and after an internal review, it is right that we could have responded more quickly and accept responsibility.”
Ross weather station reported that 21.8mm of rain fell in the town on Friday, while June saw four-and-a-half times more rainfall than during the same period last year.
Flood victim Penny Harris, who lives in Silver Birches, said: “It was above the knees at the back of the house and completely trashed the furniture, while we have lost everything in the garage.
“We bought the house five years ago and the neighbours have said that they have never been flooded.