Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting HT NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Census charges dropped
The case against a Herefordshire man prosecuted for refusing to fill in his census form has been dropped.
Eighty-two-year-old pacifist John Voysey was due back before magistrates last Friday but was informed the day before that the case had been discontinued.
Mr Voysey, from Adforton, refused to complete the national questionnaire because he says the company employed by the government to process the information has links to weapons manufacturing.
And after several court appearances the Quaker and conscientious objector, having received a notice of discontinuance, claims the government has had to back down.
“The whole thing was a nonsense anyway,” he said.
“I think the Crown Prosecution Service must have given up. It opens a whole can of worms for others.”
CPS spokesman Anthony Hobbs said following a review it was no longer deemed in the public interest to pursue a case against Mr Voysey.