AN area of Gladestry Primary School was turned into a museum for a week and opened to the public. There were over two hundred artefacts on display in the museum including the first television to come to Gladestry, a Bush radio television from the mid 1950s, an old typewriter, butter mould and pats, five abacus's, fossils, bottles, pots, books, a wash stand, clothing, photos, old books including an 1855 bible, a doll from the 1890s, a high chair from the 1930s, a Victorian babies rattle and much more. The museum was the final phase in the children's topic on local history that started when they decided to find out all they could about the broken down Jamaica Cottage on Hergest Ridge not far from the village. Using parish and school records from before 1877 and other local documents the children found out the first occupant of the cottage was Thomas Evans in 1790 and then they made a full list of all the other people who lived there including Sarah Jane Dakin in 1989 and the last known occupants Gilbert and Gladys Hawkins in 1937. The children also collected old bottles and pieces of china and earthen ware from around the derelict cottage to go in their museum. All the exhibits in the museum were brought in by children from the school, staff and local people except for a few items loaned to them by Kington museum. The children acted as curators and did a brilliant job of explaining where all the items on display came from and were used for. The curator of Kington museum Robert Pritchard came to the school to look at their museum and give them advice and praised the school for their wonderful museum filled with local and historical artefacts. The head teacher at the school Mrs Hilary Morris had a very interesting letter from Mr Claude Maidment who was head teacher at the school from 1955 till 1961. In his letter he showed an interest in the day to day running of the school now.