Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting HT NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Ledbury businessman burnt by fireball dies
9:53am Monday 14th January 2013 in News
A MAN who was set alight after being hit by a fireball from a garden bonfire has died.
Lee Vine had spent the last two weeks in intensive care after suffering 50 per cent burns during the incident at his home in Falcon Lane, Ledbury, on Sunday, December 30.
Although he had remained in a critical condition after undergoing four operations, his family, who had been keeping a constant vigil at his bedside, said he was fighting and had hoped he would pull through.
However the 50-year-old , who owned his own business Lee Motorcycles on the Homend Trading Estate, died at Birmingham’s Queen Elizabeth Hospital on Friday morning.
Mr Vine’s family, including partner Lyn Wall, brother Jason, children Luke and Leanne and step-son Sam, had been inundated with messages of support since the accident and people were quick to pay tribute following news of his death.
Former Mayor of Ledbury Ken Davies, a neighbour in Falcon Lane who had known Mr Vine and his family for many years, said he was shocked and deeply saddened by the news.
“I will always remember him as full of spirit,” he said. “He was very determined and hard-working, had built up a good business and deserved everything he had achieved. He was very popular and will be sadly missed.”
Bob Pearce, proprietor of neighbouring Homend business Station Domestic Appliances, said: “I have got nothing but fond memories of him. He was a lovely character and nobody ever had a bad word to say about him.”